Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Week 3 - Chapter 3

This weeks chapter covered databases and database management systems.  I have to admit that this is a subject that I have always had a hard time with.  I understand how they work, I use them on a regular basis, but i just have trouble reaching my head around what they are beyond the user interface that I have direct access to. 

Furthermore, I cannot create database.  I have tried many times, many ways and have failed miserably every time.  I was glad to see that the chapter went into the theory behind simple databases as well as complete database warehouses.  I have not had a chance to read any of the extended learning modules and am hoepfule that they will give me a little more insight.  I really have a need for a specific database, but haven't had luck with it yet.  I have come to realize that I will need to spend more time planning my database before I try to design it.  And to think, I just kept blaming MS Access.

This chapter did a good job explaining the power of a good database as far as providing business intelligence and helping organizations make educated decisions.  They are more than just tools help you auto-fill a few forms and keep an address book.  They are capable of helping any organization succeed. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Travis! Some of the chapters in this class were more difficult than others but I do feel like I learned a lot from this. I agree with you that database management systems are a hard thing to understand. I think that with all the chapters combined, things started to make sense for me. I think that blogging helped me extend my comprehension on the material that I learned every week. It was neat to blog in an online class. This was the first time that I have experienced it.
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Travis, I think this whole class is difficult and it's been somewhat hard to wrap my head around it as well so I feel your pain. I think as we try and understand the basic philosophy of software, it will become easier. Good luck with your classes and I hope you get your database going.

    ReplyDelete