Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 10 - Chapter 9

The changes that we are experiencing are tremendous.  I can say that I learned to type on a typewriter.  My first computer was a Commodore 64.  I loved visiting my friend's house to play Atari because all I had was the Pong console.   Now I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a computer for a few hundred dollars.  I can go on-line and buy anything I want from virtually anywhere in the world at anytime of the day.  Ten years ago when I started working here, we had one computer in the office.  We now have seven and each of the four ambulances have Panasonic Toughbooks mounted in them.  Our cardiac monitor has a dedicated wireless modem.  We can view a patient's heart rhythm then transmit it to Redmond, WA who then posts it to a website that allows the physician in our ER to view it.  That all happens in less than 15 seconds.

There are problems with what we have.  The great digital divide was mentioned in this class.  The U.S. Department of Agriculture is in charge of over one billion dollars in stimulus money to expand the reach of high-speed internet.  I for one would love to see this happen.  My parents live in southwest Iowa.  They are farmers and high-speed internet is something that isn't necessary for them, but would be a great thing for them to have.  The benefits of communication through e-mail and video calling along with access to information and shopping for goods are missed by them.  Now, this is my parents, their in their 70s.  There are school aged kids that are also missing out on these benefits and the impact felt by that could be even greater and longer lasting. 

As great as I think it is to continue to grow and expand our current capabilities, we must not leave so many people behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment