Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 7 - Chapter 6

This chapter was about system development.  As I said earlier in this blog, I love computers.  I love working with computers on a daily basis.  I do not care much for the networking and system side of things.  This chapter did provide a good overview of what it takes to develop a computer system that even I could see the benefit of.  Every good manager or leader in an organization needs to have a solid foundation in system development in order to use computer and business information systems to their full advantage.

I enjoyed the discussion on out-sourcing, versus in-sourcing, versus self-sourcing.  Given my preference for the workstation side of computers, it shouldn't be surprising that I really see the benefits of self-sourcing.

The one thing that really stood out to me in this chapter was the checklist type of approach used in the SDLC.  I have been reading a lot of article by Atul Gawande, a physician that has a real gift for pointing out the errors in our healthcare system and how we can do better.  He recently wrote a book called the Checklist Manifesto that shows how a simple checklist can prevent errors, make systems and procedures more efficient, and reduce wasted time and money. 

Beyond this book, he has written many article on healthcare economics and the general practice of medicine.  I highly recommend any of his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment